View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013   #6
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Baby's First Mock Draft

New mock, post-Jags:

1st round: Jadaveon Clowney, DE - South Carolina
2nd round: Brandon Schefft, T - Iowa
3rd round: Zach Mettenberger, QB - LSU
4th round: Yawin Smallwood, ILB - Connecticut
5th round: Arthur Lynch, TE - Georgia
5th round: Andre Williams, RB - Boston College
6th round: Ricardo Allen, CB - Purdue
7th round: Beau Allen - DT, Wisconsin

As before, I'm assuming that we get Ray Horton as head coach, and he continues running the 3-4, while retaining Rick Smith as GM.

Clowney is our guy at 1-1. Put him next to Watt and we'll have a terror of a defensive line, but not without a few more additions, as you see.

Schefft probably doesn't make it out of the first round; he's been rising lately, but I think it's possible we snag him at #33. Fire Derek Newton (into the sun), put him at RT and Quessenberry at LG, and we have an offensive line that looks like this:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - Scheff

That's a line that could either run ZBS or maybe transition to a power scheme, however the incoming offensive coordinator/HC wants to run it. I'm coming around to re-hiring Greg Knapp if we can't get Hue Jackson. Alex Gibbs might also be an option.

Mettenberger is a guy that will probably ruffle a few feathers, but hear me out: with Mariota (and probably Hundley) heading back to school, guys like Carr and Boyd will rise in the rounds while Mett and Murray drop due to their injuries. Mettenberger is a tall, tough, big-armed sunovabitch who was a leader of the LSU Tigers the last two years and showed improvement over the course of his career. In other words, he's exactly what Rick Smith looks for in a draft pick. Let him sit for a year, heal up, and learn the offense. Mobility was never his strong suit, so the ACL injury

If you want another take, give a look at this scouting report for an evaluation of his talent, and a roundtable discussion by the people who run SB Nation's LSU blog, And The Valley Shook, on Mett's leadership and how he progressed during his time at LSU.

In all honesty, I'm an LSU alum and would love to see Mett join the team. There's no other QB I've seen that made 3rd-and-long no big deal other than a few guys in the pros, but I'll refrain from that sort of name-dropping. If you don't like the pick, I understand, and would offer up Aaron Murray, Stephen Morris, or David Fales as an alternate.

Yawin Smallword is a guy that I'm mostly listing here due to measurables: six-foot-five and runs in the 4.65-4.75 range, and with a ton of tackles to show for it. I'll try and find some film, but he looked like a good fit for the round and need.

Arthur Lynch and Andre Williams I've already told you about.

Ricardo Allen is a four-year starter at Purdue (Rick Smith's alma mater, and even the same position) who has three INTs, 2 PDs and 4 TFLs on the who projects to be a slot corner. His speed would be an asset on special teams and would give us a guy to move on from Brice McCain, who has struggled this year.

Lastly, Beau Allen is a 325lb NT out out Wisconsin; Horton's defenses seem to prefer getting more sacks out of the OLBS (which shouldn't be a problem with Clowney and Mercilus along with Watt in the middle), so having a guy who projects as a great run-stuffer to sit in the middle seems to fit best. He could go as high as the 4th round, so having him here is a bit of a luxury pick.

Thoughts?
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote