View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013   #93
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 138918 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans security guards fired for taking photo with Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If you meddle in your contractors hiring / firing decisions, then they are not independent contractors they are employees. Employees that you never paid payroll taxes for, never paid unemployment tax for, never contibuted to their 401K, never let into the health insurance plan, etc etc etc. If you are a real business, you don't want to go there. So you don't interfere when your contractor enforces their workplace rules.
I've worked in two separate industries as a contractor where meddling is the 'norm'. The funniest part? One of them is private security.

They can't be considered employees unless you have folks performing the exact same duties who actually ARE employees. That's your starting point. In addition, every Security contract I've ever seen gives the client the right to have personnel removed from any account for any reason.

I've also been personally involved in an incident where the client told the company that if they wanted to keep the account (most security contracts can be voided by the client quite easily), they would quit threatening the "preferred" guard.

ABM, Allied, Pinkerton, Black Hawk, Top Gun...the list goes on, but let's not pretend that clients don't tell the security companies what to do. It happens with regularity.