Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013   #999
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree with VY relying on improvisation in college. I watched a lot of UT football when VY was there. I didn't miss a game his last year I don't think....

VY had some nice talent around him. Ramonce Taylor, Jamal Charles, I think the TE's name was Harris...white guy...he was a baller...they had some good receivers too.

They really just shredded teams. I don't remember VY back there running all over the place and doing the things JM does. It was more make a simple read and go.

Honestly, I mainly recall VY and the Texas offense killing people within the framework of called plays most times.
You're on target here. TE was David Thomas. Insanely good college TE.

Texas had otherworldly NFL talent on that 2005 squad. VY mainly played within the offense because he didn't need to do much else. That Texas offense is really the reason the Zone Read exploded the way that it did. Put your best athlete at QB and give him three options, Give, Pass to #1, or Run. Incredibly simple but effective. Obviously it has become more diverse since then, but the simplicity of that offense is one of the reasons I think Young had trouble adapting to a NFL system.

To Wolverine's point, VY did plenty of improvisation in that Rose Bowl against Michigan. He killed that defense on broken plays.