Re: What is the rebuilding path?
Rebuild, not that painful for some, more painful for others.
1. Fire Smubiak
2. Hire GM with Final Say on 53 man roster. Someone like Eric deCosta. Ensures team always operates with a 5 year vision plan instead of band aids for the season at hand.
3. GM hires Head Coach, someone like David Shaw or Jimbo Fisher whose teams always play well in all 3 phases of the game.
4. 2014 release Matt Schaub and Arian Foster, that's it. Unlikely, Foster after back surgery will be the Foster everyone knows and loves. Expecting Slayton after his neck surgery.
5. Keep Daniels, Joseph and Manning in 2014 because new QB will need and rely on Andre and Daniels. Joseph and Manning are best DBs on roster and unlikely able to replace their level of play. Trying to could result in big step backwards.
6. Along with Schaub and Foster, Manning and Daniels salaries are off the 2015 books and Texans start 2015 year almost $50 million under the cap. If league goes to 17/18 reg season games salary cap likely to increase $10 million to $140 million and Texans would be $60 million under the cap. More than enough to re-sign Watt or trade him for (3) 1st RD picks +. Whatever suits your fancy.