View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013   #58
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
So you're down to wait another 10 years? Mannings don't come along often. Roethlisberger's got one more ring than Manning does, I'll tell you that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think he is saying he wants an elite prospect instead of a fixer-upper. They aren't a dime a dozen but it's not a decade wait between them.
What Vinny said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yep, What I meant is there's no clear cut #1 QB in this draft and while it's a deep draft, the talent level/potential doesn't drop off from the #1 QB taken at the top of the draft from QBs taken in the second round.
Yep. And I'll tell you what I think - we're going to need another QB after the 2014 draft anyway, because whoever they pick, they're not going to be The One. Franchise QBs aren't available every draft, so don't force it. Of course, everyone here thinks we should force it, so whatever. Personally, I can see at least a couple franchise QB prospects coming out next year, but do not see one at all this year. Looking back:

2013: no true franchise prospect

2012: one real no brainer, and then the overblown hype bout RGIII, who I like but do not buy into long term because of his style. In retrospect, Russell Wilson might be the 2nd best QB from that class long term, but no one tabbed him as a true franchise QB prospect.

2011: Cam Newton was the only no brainer, AFAIC

2010: Sam Bradford was considered to be that pro-ready, franchise QB prospect - perhaps not to the talent level of a guy like Luck, but a guy that could be built around. No one else.

2009: Stafford.

2008: Matt Ryan.

Could go on, but you get the point. There's usually (not always) one consensus franchise caliber QB prospect. They're usually taken in the top few picks. Whether or not they pan out is a different subject. But the overriding point is unless you get a top pick in a year that happens to have one of those, you're either forcing the issue and hoping it pans out, or you're developing one from a later round (Wilson, GSmith, Foles, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). That's not any more ht or miss than the top round picks when you look at bust rates, TBH.

I just don't want to see the team force a pick on a QB just because they have a top pick and they need a QB. If the QB isn't there at the top of the first round (there isn't, IMO), then take BPA and grab a QB in the 2nd-4th round. I feel like McCarron, Murray (before injury), Mettenberger, Carr, and maybe another one or two QBs could turn out to be just as good as Bridgewater from this draft. I don't see any of them turning out to be the next Luck, Manning, or even Matt Ryan, but hey, you never know. I just don't see the reward for the risk of a top pick.

JMO.