View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013   #337
Borowicz50
Kingsville, TX

Rep Power: 0 Borowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Coach Debate

Looking how this season has gone it has obviously been a terrible experience for everyone involved. Players, coaches, fans & ownership all believed that this season was going to be a Super Bowl run & with the past two years results that was easily foreseeable. What has happened truly cannot be explained, best put it has been an anomaly of bad occurrences meshed with the glaring weaknesses of the team being brought to light in what has culminated in the Texans currently being the worst team in the NFL.

The subject of a coaching change is a big one…I like Kubiak & I wanted it to work for him but heads have to role & unfortunately his is probably going to be the first. First off I would like to thank him for giving us a playoff team for those two years & for getting this team into a form of a winning franchise. With that said it is time to move on.

I want to also put out there that the popular names of Cower & Gruden should not come up in the conversation for the following reasons.

Jon Gruden:
His record with the Raiders was a total 38-26 with two playoff showings in 4 years.
His record in Tampa Bay was 57-55 in 7 years with 3 playoff appearances & one Super Bowl win.
Total record 5 playoff experiences in 11 years with one Super Bowl & a record of 95-81.

My knock on him is that he is the same guy as Kubiak considering he is a middle of the road winner who just happened to inherit a championship team from Tony Dungy that he won a Super Bowl with & then the team declined each of the following years. He has great football knowledge but has been out to long & wasn’t a world beater while he was coaching.

Bill Cowher:
149-90 all with the Steelers.
He is a proven winner with a long period of time but was given just that a long period of time to win. He had 4 losing seasons along with 1 8-8 season while having 9 playoff appearances & 2 Super Bowl appearances with 1 win in a career of 15 seasons. He is 56 years old which means he is right on that cusp of becoming an old man but is not there yet. He is a proven winner but he must be given the time to do it which is why it worked for him in Pittsburgh. Another thing to note is his success may be more of a reflection of the organization than of Cowher himself as both his predecessor Chuck Noll & Mike Tomlin both had similar success within the organization both which were patient with coaches even through bad seasons. Also consider this in 22 seasons Chuck Noll provided 11 winning seasons with 4 Super Bowl wins but he also had 11 losing seasons in which the team averaged 6 wins.

My knock on Cowher is more a knock on the Houston fan base & the organization because if he provided a few playoff appearances but then gave us some losing seasons he would be run out of town. Kubiak gave us two playoff appearances & 3 losing seasons & he is basically being lynched. Therefore I am not sure if Cowher would even want to be part of an organization that demands winning now as opposed to building over time with a few bumps in the road being seen as ok.

So what does this all mean?

Either we have to find a coach who can literally win now within 1-3 years or we as an organization have to be more like the Steelers (this would include fan base perception also) & roll with the punches enjoying good seasons but not calling for heads in seasons where things go bad.

Should be interesting regardless but a change is probably coming so who do you think we should be looking at?