View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Explaining the Texans Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good read.

Obviously there is a myriad of reasons why the Texans have only won 4 out of their last 16 games. A meltdown of this magnitude cannot be attributed to a single thing like coaching or QB. It is almost everything right now, with a handful of still great performances by individuals.

I always look at the line on both sides of the ball. Basic stuff like protecting the QB and opening holes for a run game, and getting pressure on the opposing QB and stopping the run on defense.

And both sides of the line have been way below average. Each side has an obvious superstar with Watt and Brown, but they cannot do it alone.

A lot of fans will point at Schaub as the biggest disappointment, but for me, the FO knew they had a very immobile QB. A line to consistently protect him should have been priority no. 1.

Newton has shown one of the worst performances as a lineman that I can remember. He's letting defenders get by and the results are obvious with both an immobile Schaub and a scrambling Keenum. And no matter who is under center, if the QB is going to get pressure up the middle, game over. They have got to beef up the offensive line to improve this team.

And on defense, it seems like Watt is the only one who really matters. Opponents double and triple team the guy, but hardly anyone else can beat their single blocker to take advantage of all the attention on one player. I like Wade in general, but I'm not a big fan of a 3-4 defense that does not have the big jumbo nose tackle. You need a dude that takes up space and consistently forces the run to the outside. And if you can get a tackle that demands a double team every once it awhile, it gives opportunity to a guy like Watt to break free.

I'm sure others will disagree or focus on skill positions, and that's fine. But for me, a team has to ensure that both sides of the trenches are well stocked to make anything else happen. It's old school football stuff, but it has proved itself to be true time and time again.
The Texans have never taken care of the trenches 1st since their inception. They will continue to be medicore at best until they do. This is why I want either Matthews/Clowney in RD.1.

BoB/Rick/Gary/Wade are to blame for the state of the franchise these are BoB's handpicked GM/HC/DC's and their handpicked players.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote