View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Explaining the Texans Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
we have very successful systems on offense and defense. we dont however have the personnel to run them. we can blame the players themselves, the front office for signing them (or more accurately paying other positions), or the coaches for all of the above as well as failing to adjust to what the options currently are. regardless of why, we need better talent at the positions that matter most.

on offense it's the line. we are a zone blocking, run first, play action offense. runningbacks are a dime a dozen. though it's nice to have a good one, we had ron dayne averaging more than 4ypc - our skill positions are a luxury. we can win 12 games with matt schaub, 1 wide receiver, and runningback by committee ... IF the line is working. when it's not it doesnt matter if we have all pros everywhere else, our system cannot work without great line play.

on defense it's linebackers. a good line is great, but a bunch of joes can work. a strong secondary is very important in today's game, but man corners is fine. all of it is dependent on the linebackers, they have to be your studs and we only have one (injured). mercilus has zero instincts, reed's just a guy, and our ILB's are horrid. we have spent some picks trying to address at least the OLB position, but we've missed badly and nothing's been done about the ILB's.

there's more that's gone into our epic collapse such as schaub going brad lidge after last year's pats game, foster being a flake, ed reed poisoning the lockerroom, special ed teams, kubiak and wade's calls, and more. all of it is survivable if we had those two areas working as they should however.
First comparing MS to Brad Lidge is perfect! I agree with your points but if we had allowed Foster to go especially if we low balled him, fan base would have gone nuts. I admit I was glad we brought him back. We did put money into Cushing and then he goes out for year; cannot blame that on coaching or Ric Smth. Yeah some say we should have waited to sign him but that is a silly assumption that he would then sign without testing market. If we did that and Cushing did leave McNair would have gone nuts. RBs may be a dime a dozen but the ones we buy are pathetic.

Selecting player has got to be done better.