View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013   #176
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Simple question: Do you like the nickname "Bulls On Parade"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
People are still upset about the letterman jackets? You guys need the free slushie more than I thought.
Do not confuse ridicule with anger. I do not perceive anyone is upset about the letterman jackets. They are now part of our collective Texans history, along with "Rosencopter", "Fresno Mafia", "Sausage Boy", etc.

When faced with an abysmal and very disappointing 2-8 season, already in the tank by November, the only thing we have left as fans is joking around about the situation. No crying in football and all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I brought up the jackets because other people have in, y'know, the thread about a nickname for a team. Makes me wonder if there are Cowboy fans who hate the "America's team" phrase.
The "America's Team" thing is a good example. The Cowboys did not come up with that name. It was NFL Films that popularized it (taken from a sports article about the number of households watching Cowboys games in the '70's).

Tex Schramm (original president and general manager of the Cowboys) saw a golden marketing opportunity and certainly capitalized on it, but it was not self-gloss by the franchise. It was bestowed upon them by the royalty that is an NFL Films presentation, and the name stuck due to their success, championship pedigree, and growing legions of fans across the country. It certainly helped that they had all-American Roger Staubach as QB and genius class-act coach Tom Landry.

The obvious lesson is to let the nicknames come natural, not forced.