View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013   #192
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Let me start off by saying that I have always said Kubiak is a good offensive coordinator. I've defended him on the Xs and Os side of things, as well as his QB work. But let's not buy into this top offense crap. His systems tend to put up a lot of yardage, but scoring lags behind. I don't care one bit about yardage. Not counting '06, because that was a shambles of a team, here is what we're looking at:

'07: 333.6 ypg (14th), 23.7 ppg (12th). League lead was 36.8 ppg.
'08: 382.1 ypg (3rd), 22.9 ppg (17th). League lead was 28.9 ppg.
'09: 383.1 ypg (4th), 24.3 ppg (10th). League lead was 31.9 ppg.
'10: 386.6 ypg (3rd), 24.4 ppg (9th). League lead was 32.4 ppg.
'11: 372.1 ypg (13th), 23.8 ppg (10th). League lead was 35.0 ppg.
'12: 372.1 ypg (7th), 26.0 ppg (8th). League lead was 34.8 ppg.
'13: 378.0 ypg (10th), 19.3 ppg (27th). League lead is 39.8 (then 28.8 for #2).

So they've never had a truly top scoring offense, which is all that really matters, and scoring has almost always lagged yardage. Even in a dysfunctional season like this, the offense is putting up 378 yards per game. So yardage doesn't impress me. As much as I think highly of Kubiak as a play designer, I think his system has some flaws in the red zone. So IMO, he'll never have a top offense with this system.
Does a top scoring offense ensure a championship? I'm too lazy to do the digging especially on my phone but I wonder where, say the last 5 champs ranked in scoring offense.