View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013   #190
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo82 View Post
After watching a few games on the all-22, I did notice a few things. I'm not anywhere close to being an expert, but...

1. Ben Tate is a horrible blocker.

2. Case has a tendency to hold the ball too late to wait for certain plays to develop. There were a few times in which all he had was the check down, but opted to keep looking down field instead which eventually lead to sacks. This one is difficult b/c we often criticize Schaub too much for dumping the passes off.

3. He has a tendency to roll out rather than step up into the pocket. There was one play where Case evaded pressure and threw the ball away. Tate picked up the block from the middle and was pretty much pushed back. Case could have made some positive yards with his leg if he darted forward and to the right of Tate since Tate was blocking left. Instead Case, rolled out left.
Great points in analysis.

I noticed the tendency to roll instead of step up into the pocket, as well. Not sure if it's a lack of trust in the blockers or if it's just inexperience with pocket management, but it is certainly something to be curious about. When pressure comes from the around the tackles, most experienced QBs step up to pass or take advantage of the hole for some positive yardage with their feet.

I'm not criticizing the guy. Just observations as a fan. Kid has a lot of potential, but he will have to learn some of the basic fundamentals of managing a pro offense to have a multi-dimensional skillset.