Originally Posted by foo82
After watching a few games on the all-22, I did notice a few things. I'm not anywhere close to being an expert, but...
1. Ben Tate is a horrible blocker.
2. Case has a tendency to hold the ball too late to wait for certain plays to develop. There were a few times in which all he had was the check down, but opted to keep looking down field instead which eventually lead to sacks. This one is difficult b/c we often criticize Schaub too much for dumping the passes off.
3. He has a tendency to roll out rather than step up into the pocket. There was one play where Case evaded pressure and threw the ball away. Tate picked up the block from the middle and was pretty much pushed back. Case could have made some positive yards with his leg if he darted forward and to the right of Tate since Tate was blocking left. Instead Case, rolled out left.
1. Indeed. He's even worse when he's hurting.
2. Indeed again. The Texans need to make him understand that just because they don't want him to be Matt Schaub in the check-down department they also don't need the second coming of Rob Johnson holding on to the ball forever. There's a sweet spot in between that he should be aiming for.
3. I think if he can get a few more games under his belt (assuming he is capable of what many of us hope he can be) then the game will slow down a little for him and he'll start making better decisions where this is concerned. The boy needs some experience so he can learn "when to hold em' and when to fold em'"