View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013   #111
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Been harping on that for a while re: Schaub. Wasn't especially impressed with Schaub's 4000 yard seasons and by extension, receivers collect a lot of that yardage. I personally value TDs over yardage. TDs and turnovers affect the final score way, way more than yardage. Yardage still matters, of course, but in the same way that 1000 yards is no longer impressive for a running back, the metric needs to be adjusted for inflation. The fact that AJ is one of only two or three receivers with three seasons of 1500 yards is impressive. So context matters.

I'd vote him in just because he makes plays that other WRs can't make, even those with better numbers at times.
I agree with you.

I think 'cak's argument is a good one, as well, because it's relative to the times (like you said, context). AJ has been an elite receiver his entire career and he has led the league in stats for individual seasons. It's not like the HoF is going to completely blacklist all WRs, so in that regard, AJ has a body of work, a reputation as non-showboating workhorse, and I also think his loyalty to the franchise should be considered in voting, as well.

I'm just hoping he retires a Texan many years from now and the next regime uses him effectively to win games (i.e. score TDs!).