View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013   #144
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I didn't miss anything other than the play-calling and protection CHANGING. Case didn't have the same options Schaub had, it's as simple as that. It wasn't that he kept missing hot routes again-and-again, the play called didn't have the same routes as Schaub had.
Yes, that's what Kubiak said. He said he wanted to respond to the defense with different things and that it was not fair to ask keenum to manage those... Specificially, I don't know what those are. However, here is my best guess why you noticed what you did:

** The defense focused hard on preventing the rollout. Even in the first half, Keenum had to make two very athletic plays to escape the containment when he did get to the edge. Teams have focused on flooding the A gaps, either with blitzes or by blitzing the edge but crashing and stunting DL men into them. Most of Keenum's poor throws tend to be on short crosses, etc... Consider the low, weak pass to AJ on the cross on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter. I think it is a vision issue. Keenum, at least as the offense is currently designed and with the defense doing what is doing, can not execute anything out of three and five step drops other than go routes and flags on the edge of the defense. He can't see over all those bodies to hit the quick crossing route with all the interior pressure. So, when Schaub entered the game, those crosses and quick passes inside the hashmarks were available again and were likely a focus of the playcalling and play to Schaub's strengths at QB.

I'm sure there is much more complexity to it than that, but those are things I noticed and that make sense to me.

Realize also that Keenum's assets and limitations are significantly different than Schaub's. Given that this year's team and preparation was based off the assumption that Schaub would start and Tate would backup, their is a limitation to what can be done in the season to design things for Keenum. For instance, perhaps Keenum needs a 330 lb mauler at center... perhaps TEs being vertical threats so that he can attack the seams with them at 20 yards more regularly instead of relying on TEs with great hands to hook into a zone at 8 yards, which he may struggle to see... There are all kinds of adjustments that can be made in the off-season which would provide Keenum a greater opportunity to excel but simply aren't all feasible now.

Actually, it's exciting to think about it. Despite my affinity for Kubiak's program, the unknown is starting to look quite appealing.