View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013   #129
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
There are about a half dozen posters who are consistently negative about Keenum and very vocal about it.

I'm a UH guy and a Keenum fan and I want this. I just don't believe any of the guys currently projected to go in the first round are anything close to a sure bet even compared to past years drafts. I view them as a bit of a project, so I don't want to spend a first round pick on a project. And the OL being as bad as it is ... yikes.

Keenum does some things really well. He doesn't do other things. He's developing. We'll see how fast he develops and to what point. The people that have already made up their minds are silly, to be nice about it.
I'm not sure about 1st round grades on QBs in this year's draft... I just agree with the larger point that it is unwise and unnecessary to depend entirely on him and his development... In addition to potential draft picks in '14 or '15, there are also guys available via trade/free agency that, depending on the coaching staff and the system, may be of interest:

Guys like: Freeman, Cassel, Henne, Cutler, Mallett, Ponder, etc...

Now, I'm not endorsing these guys, specifically... However, I assume Schaub is gone after this year and Yates won't be far behind him. Therefore, someone will be coming in... Because of recent successful examples and the new salary cap structure in the draft, bringing in QB competition is much more likely.

SF did it with Alex Smith and Kaepernick.

Seattle did it with Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn.

Washington spent significant resources for RGIII and Cousins (not a true competition but a move that paid dividends)

Philadelphia did it with Vick and Nick Foles

Buffalo did it with Manuel and Kolb

Jets with Sanchez and Geno Smith

Tennessee added Fitzpatrick to Locker

*** the cap burden is much less and the importance of QB continues to grow. Teams recognize these truths and are more aggressive about stockpiling and developing talent at QB and less concerned with illustrating through their roster moves how much confidence they have in one guy.