View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013   #127
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i'm not excited....just cautiously optimistic. The last thing i want this franchise to do is just give the most important job on the team away instead of letting a guy earn it with legit comp...

My question to you guys is how much time do ya'll need for eval time? Most nfl guys say about 16 games..i only agree with that when talking about qb's who run alot.

But say it is 16 games. that means Keenum will need about 6 more games going into next year. That's a large chunk of the season...Would you be comfortable passing on a potential franchise guy this year & going into next season still evaluating your qb?
I'd say that if Keenum plays six more games, and shows improvement in those six games then we go to the offseason and the Texans either do or don't draft a QB.

So mini-camps happen and Case and "Somebody" are splitting reps. Case enters camp the incumbent starter and the competition is on. At that point you've given Case Keenum a two year head start, two preseasons, and about 10 games of live NFL football.

If a rookie QB can come in and push him out of the way on merit alone and not because he's a 1st round draft pick then so be it. If they just hand the spot to a young guy who doesn't earn it, well this the Texans after all. It could happen.

But if Case gets all that preparation and still can't hold off a first-round rookie then he's probably not the guy anyway. If he does and they give the position to someone else anyway then he should seek a trade. there are too many QB poor teams in this league for him to be sitting on the bench behind a guy with a good draft pedigree who he otherwise just beat out of the job.