View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013   #65
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

He benched Keenum because nobody on offense had it together on picking up the blitz. They were teeing off every single down. He was trying to keep him from becoming a shell shocked turtle like David Carr.

Not that far-fetched. It makes sense if you at least try being a little objective, but I know that's a little too much to ask, so I won't bother.
This relates to what Kubiak said.

Quote:
“What was happening was, we had to make a lot of changes from a protection standpoint to handle some of the things they were doing,” Kubiak said after the game. “Trying to create some tempo and do that. And it made it very tough on Case, in my opinion, being a young player. I knew that Matt could get done some of the things that I wanted to get done, real fast, and to give us a chance to win the football game. So that’s why I did it.”

Quote:
Asked if he regrets the decision to insert Schaub, Kubiak said he does not.

“Actually, I think I was really thinking of (Keenum) to be honest with you,” Kubiak said. “I’ve been in this league a long time and dealt with a lot of quarterbacks. I’m trying to develop one right now. Right or wrong, I made that decision because of the situation I thought I was fixing to put a young player in from my standpoint of what I was doing coaching wise. I don’t have time to explain that to y’all. That’s why I do what I did. He knows that. I talked to him about that.”
They made changes that Keenum wouldn't have been able to manage, and the team got in position to win. If Schaub makes that touchdown, the players retain some pride and Kubiak earns back some credibility. But that win would have only temporarily doused the frustrations of the players and FO, and those frustrations surfaced in an ugly way when the final drive failed.

This current lowpoint has followed the model of a business concept that I learned a long time ago: Profit covers up a lot of problems that aren't discovered until failure is imminent. In this analogy, "profit" means "wins." Sometimes a business gets lucky with demand and an uncompetitive market, and the resulting profit prevents improvement to the operation. All the existing inefficiencies, the waste, and the complacency is left unaddressed because managers only know how to fix problems by searching for smoke. Suddenly, the tide lowers, your competitors move in, and the customers become more sophisticated. The easy money becomes a trickle, and your operation is seized by a lack of preparation before collapsing.

For the past three years, the talents of our elite players carried this team through favorable schedules and a weak division. Then injuries hit, the schedule got tougher, and the Colts got better. The lowering tide revealed poor decisions in personnel, weakness in the offensive line, and an unreliable starting quarterback. Lacking preparation, the operation seized and collapsed, and the remaining elite players were left disillusioned by the revelation of such longstanding mediocrity.

As Zierlein said, Andre's blowup wasn't really directed at Schaub; It was condensed frustration uncorked by a few simple words from the quarterback who represented the systemic mediocrity that Andre's ambitions stood upon for 11 years. If that quarterback wins the game, Andre may not feel frustration, but he also won't feel much of anything.

I think Kubiak probably made the right decision at that time to win the game, but Andre's blowup and McNair's post game meetings have now made it clear: The system is done. It's over. The objective is now about allowing the fans and players to enjoy the excitement and confidence that Keenum brings. Do whatever possible to allow the last remaining games to be enjoyable. And Kubiak will do that because he cares for the players too.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote