View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown and Jake Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As for your plan, I think it's sound but has 2 flaws that I can see. Since the big money on DB's contract doesn't kick in until after 2016 I have doubts that DB is with the team after that. He might be a salary cap cut at that time. Also getting moved to RT won't extend DB's career. Teams have 2 great pass rushers now so it would be just as hard on DB and he'd have to learn a new position in the process. Now he could maybe get moved to LG to extend his career. I know it's also a new position but shouldn't be as hard on him. Maybe we could extend DB's contract another couple years in 2016 and lower his salary cap hit in the process.
I think you are overly concerned on both your flaws. Flipping sides is not at all unusual for an OT. Two of Brown's college seasons were spent at RT so the perspective is not new to him. Brown's cap hit does not go up substantially after a large bump he will get next season. At the height of his contract he will still be under the 2013 franchise tag number of $9,828,000. His contract is not back end loaded on the cap and is not a burdensome contract for someone of his caliber. 33 years is not time for the retirement home for many OLmen.