View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: DeMeco Ryans is performing like a Pro Bowl player again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe direct some if that ranting towards the actual organization that makes these decisions instead of other fans.

Seems like you're more ticked at the fans commenting on the moves the organization makes than the actual ****ty moves being made.
No for two reasons. One in this specific instance I disagreed with the team but I don't think it was a huge gaff - they had to make a judgment call and there were reasons for the way they went. Two, as a general matter I was commenting on some fans - nobody in particular which is why I did not quote anyone.

Since everyone is doing it, my position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Do you see the freaking brace on his arm? If you do, you don't understand how limiting that is?

Do you advocate dumping a stellar player over a temporary issue?

Dude is solid when hobbled, a general of the D. When back in full form he and Cushing will be the best ILB duo in the NFL.

Cushing is an emotional leader. DeMeco is an intellectual leader. And both are sideline to sideline players when healthy.
Many folks were assuming DeMeco would not get better and CnD, no offense, wasn't supporting any confidence calling the chance of improvement a miraculous exception:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After reading all the comments, it seems that it would be helpful to refresh memories. I will only briefly summarize the pertinent points (specific to Demeco) of the analysis of NFL players that I reviewed previously for Stephanie's blog in the Chronicle.

*1/3 of the players were NEVER able to return to the NFL

*Defensively, linebackers experienced the greatest drop in power ratings (DEFENSIVE POWER RATING calculated as a total of TACKLES + INTERCEPTIONS), followed by cornerbacks, defensive tackles, and defensive ends. The average decrease was 95% (p=0.09), 87% (p=0.03), 64% (p=0.01), and 55% (p=0.03), respectively. In other words, LBs were the players (both offensive and defensive) that had the most drop off of all players to return.

*Their 1st season post injury tended to be their BEST performing season post injury.......but significantly down from the 3 years prior to injury. Each subsequent post injury season saw a DECREASE (not an increase)in performance from the prior season as measured up to 3 years post injury.

As I explained at the time that I presented the data, there were definite limitations to the study. But even if you felt justified in halving the post injury power rating losses due to these limitations, the numbers would still be quite discouraging.

According to the available data, absent Demeco's elbow injury, this season could have been Demeco's best chance to show his most productive post injury season. There is always that "miraculous" exceptional case that occurs out there, and that is true.......but realistically the odds are not with Demeco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes he is overpaid.

I like demeco, but I think we could get similar production for a cheaper price.

If the info cloak posted holds true then he will be even more overpaid than he already is.

It sucks terribly, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I appreciate your input. Thanks. Unfortunately I think the Texans will be like most posters here burying their heads in the sand and hoping that Demeco is the 1 in 100 player that makes a full recovery to pre-injury level. Yes Demeco is overpaid for his current level of production. I don't know how many years it will take to pay him the guaranteed portion of his contract but I'll bet the Texans will bring him back next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont dispute that Cak .... but thats a lot of cap space tied up in a guy who is only on the field in the base defense.

If he's not healthy and isnt contributing at a level comparable to his pay do you continue to pay him or do you cut your losses and sign a FA at a reasonable cost or even a draft pick which would be making considerably less ?

If he's healthy there is no question you keep him .... but thats not the case here.
Yes DB the Texans are sucking at 2-7. As I have said on other subjects and as was the intent on this one - that doesn't mean they f'd up everything they touched. If you were OK with the decision then, you should be OK with it now.