View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans salary cap 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Let's keep in perspective what we know now. The $8 mil figure is in the ballpark according to two of the better salary cap sites.

Currently the the Texans have 45 players under contract to begin the 2014 season. Absent of those 45 contracts are the 18 free agents of which at least 8 were starters in 2013.

Subtract approx. $1 million for the practice squad and other likely incentives and that leaves approx. $7 million to sign the 8 player contracts needed to complete the 53 man roster. That leaves you approx $875K available per contract.

Also note: 2/3rds of the 2013 DL is gone. 1/2 of the ILBs are gone. Daniels returning from 2nd major injury on backside of career and Graham is FA. No FB, Foster is having back surgery and Tate is a FA and no equivalent replacement for Wade Smith.
To be fair almost all expect starters for NT and ILB to be drafted. Also Mays may remain in mix as I heard yesterday on radio that he was doing better. Players like Ninja and OD can be replaced by roster players Mitchell and Graham both can be re-signed cheap. Keenum replaces MS at huge savings with Yates remaining + late orund pick or UDFA.