View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013   #156
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans FO frustrated with Kubiak?

I think Kubiak is actually a pretty good coach, but the major flaw of this team has always been personnel decisions. The execution of Kubiak's schemes is limited by mediocre talent or lack of depth, specifically at the offensive line, and much of that problem is owned by Kubiak. I wrote in another thread that Kubiak's best personnel decisions have been the result of process, like Foster and Keenum. His worst ones were based on his impressions or evaluations, like Chris Brown and numerous linemen. None of us really know the balance of influence between Kubiak and Smith on draft decisions, but Smith has just pointed the finger at Kubiak, and that's a reliable indication of who's in the hot seat.

Realistically, I think the best solution is for McNair to conduct a critical review of his organization as it relates to scouting and personnel rather than interviewing new coaches. The benefits of keeping Kubiak -- as unpopular as that is around here -- is 1) He has an opportunity to maximize his best skillset as a QB coach by developing Keenum, and 2) The FO has already assessed Kubiak's strengths and weaknesses, and you can account for the weaknesses with supplemental staff. For an owner, having an accurate assessment of your manager's strengths and weaknesses is essential, and you can avoid the long and painful assessment period that comes with a replacement head coach.

I know that people have this idea that a championship head coach is one who simply executes every responsibility of his role better than his peers. The truth is that people who stand out among their peers only excel at two or three skills. A good owner knows how to set up that manager for success while accounting for and supplementing that manager's mediocrities. With a record of 12-4 last season, and the endorsement of some of the best quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL, I think Kubiak can be set up for success. That's hard for a lot of fans to accept after this season, but a plague of injuries and a QB meltdown can't be pinned entirely on the coach. That's what fans have the hardest time struggling with: Sometimes injuries and circumstance can tank a season, and there is no one to fire.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote