Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013   #807
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

I do watch a ton of Manziel; now I may not watch every game, but I study the game I watch.

Manziel is a very good QB with great potential.
The negative is that he's more of a gunslinger than Keenum under less pressure.
Take the games against the Tides, for example, he faced about a third and definitely less than half of what Keenum has been seeing in the NFL.
Remember that I always consider 3 seconds or more is on the QB.

His O-line is very stout against college defenders.
This is the main thing I always look for when evaluating QB; how they handle pressure.

When I watched Keenum and Luck against UCLA in the same year.
One guy faced 4 pressures, the other twenty pluses; they came out with comparable results.
You tell me which guy you like better.

Obviously, in Luck's situation, he has the size and the athleticism going for him.
You have to give him that.
If both guys play smart the same, the big guy should be able to hold on to the ball better when he got sacked.
He should be able to throw over the top with less concern of a batted ball.

The smaller guys have to adjust their game to compensate.
Manziel has plenty qualities that makes him a QB, but he has some draw backs, too. It's normal to me; since I didn't knock on Wilson nor Keenum for their size.

The off-the-field stuffs are less obvious.
All I can say is that I was also young once, like some posters on this board.
The yellow flags that we see come from our own humble experience.
Just look at the majority of the successful QBs in the league.