View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013   #306
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Mercilus was definitely an "all potential" pick. He was pretty raw and only had the one year of production like you said. I think it's obvious he always relied too much on his athletic ability and hasn't really developed. It is pretty frustrating that the defense is basically built for him to succeed and he only has 4.5 sacks.

As for my original question, I only ask because I see Clowney as Ninja's replacement at DE. The problem is I question his ability with double teams so my 2nd position for him would be WLB. Mercilus doesn't really have another position in the defense though so he'd be a wasted pick if you move Clowney there. He did play well in spot duty last year at the 7' technique, but it was mostly on passing downs. I question his ability to two-gap and cover TE/RB's.

I'd play clowney exactly how we played Mario.

Right now I'm assuming that the coaching staff will be back. Who knows. We could go to a 43.

Personally, I wouldn't put him at 34 DE though. I think he would be a beast on the edge where he could better use his athleticism.

I know most disagree, but I'd move Cushing outside to be the solb opposite clowney.

I can almost guaranteed we'd get more pressure on qb's from the edges.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote