View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013   #305
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ever since the Mercilus pick was announced i was down on it. I did not see the actual ability that his one year of great production. He plays stiff to me and I don't see a real football player when I look at how he moves.

I'm not a fan of his or reeds.

So really I don't care what they do with him.

But practically speaking I'd have an open competition for his spot.

If you're asking if Mercilus could play opposite clowney, my answer is yes. But again, I'd open the competition and if he didn't win the spot I'd bench him.
Mercilus was definitely an "all potential" pick. He was pretty raw and only had the one year of production like you said. I think it's obvious he always relied too much on his athletic ability and hasn't really developed. It is pretty frustrating that the defense is basically built for him to succeed and he only has 4.5 sacks.

As for my original question, I only ask because I see Clowney as Ninja's replacement at DE. The problem is I question his ability with double teams so my 2nd position for him would be WLB. Mercilus doesn't really have another position in the defense though so he'd be a wasted pick if you move Clowney there. He did play well in spot duty last year at the 7' technique, but it was mostly on passing downs. I question his ability to two-gap and cover TE/RB's.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote