View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013   #89
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
A couple things beyond the frustration of a gamble that really, really did not payoff this off-season:

1. They are getting him off the books now- instead of taking the hit next season, which is great.

2. This should also have a positive impact on the compensatory draft pick formula... Performance impacts the equation somehow. And, I'm sure being cut and only starting a couple games will lessen his value when the picks are rewarded to the Texans for the signings of: Barwin, Casey, Quin, Ball, Forsett, .

It's the best move the Texans could have made at this point... I'm glad they are willing to admit a mistake this quickly, at least- instead of keeping him around and attempting to justify it or hide it.
1. It doesn't make a difference in the longrun.

2. It might reduce his valuation, but it's really an unknown. Snap counts seem to have an effect on it, so I guess this will reduce that. It's not like he was gonna get all-pro or probowl honors this year anyways. His contract is still big, and will likely cancel out either Quin or Barwin's.

This was a retaliation move, no question. You can't talk bad about the coaches, no matter how obviously inept they are. It's the same as talking crap about your boss in the real world. If they have power over you, don't be surprised to see them exert it when you piss them off. This was absolutely not an accountability or performance move.

I just want to reiterate that THIS WAS NOT AN ACCOUNTABILITY MOVE!