Originally Posted by badboy
I never thought I'd type that record. I have hoped for improvement @ RT & have defended Newton, but no more. Like someone said on radio today, we should draft 6 offensive linemen to replace all the linemen who are so offensive. This mock is with us picking #5 and hoping we can win enough to remain that high. Also, based on DutchRudder's opinion on comps (two extra fives and 75% chance of a seventh).
1. OT Jake Matthews: starts at RT day one and eventual replacement for DB. I might be okay with a trade down but the offer would have to be huge.
2. ILB Yawin Smallwood: 6'3" 236 Connecticutt intelligent hard hitter who can cover, tackling machine (89 now & 120 last season with 50% solo). Like him better than Jones and AJ Johnson.
3. NT: Ryan Carrethers 6'2 330 66 T 3.5 sacks
4. CB/S: Ahmad Dixon 6' 205 4.39 can play corner or SS replaces McCain
5 a. Safety Marqueston Huff 5'11 195 played CB three season before moving to safety '13 replaces Manning.
b. DE: Kareem Martin North Carolina 6'5 265 is a gamble here that I might change as I focus more on him. He's back on my radar as seemingly gotten back in his 2012 groove. I see him behind Mitchell who replaces Ninja. Also like to see him at OLB a few times due to his quick first step. NFL strength program makes him even better. Trevardo Williams is back.
c. WR: L'Damian Washington 6'4 205 4.39 Missouri 36/680 (19 avg) 9TDs
Replaces either Martin or Jean depending on rest of our schedule. Big, fast, good hands.
6. QB: Tom Savage 6'4 230 Pitt who upset Notre Dame. I am not as up to date as I should be as I knew he had sat out 2 years and did not research why until Keenum took off & I begin looking for another "project". This kid is good but needs an Oline (sigh don't we all?). http://espn.go.com/college-football/...burgh-panthers
2013 stats in a pro style O: 155/254 61% 2,022 (8 avg) 16 TDs 6 INTs
7 a. RB: George Atkinson III (yeah his son) N.D. 6'1 220 4.38 (ran a 10.36 100 m in 2012) 83/512 avg 6.2 can be KR and maybe WR.
b. CB: Phillips Gaines Rice 6' 185 4.5 2013: 25 Ts 3 INTs 2012: 18 pass breakups (2nd nationally)
Jake would be a nice consolation prize, one I would fully endorse but I would feel a little disappointed for all the QB controversy, losses & bloodshed given high expectations if Texans didn't nail a franchise QB with 1st pick
Need to see more film on him, Connecticut is giving up a lot of points & losing badly might be a difficult one to grade? But I like position 2-3 rds.
Ok lets bump Carrethers up to the 3rd rd. so we can address need. Player like this can either move up or down @ the combine.
McCain is not the same player he use to be post injury, lacks burst & can no longer match-up with bigger or faster WR's. I think Brandon finally fills his shoes & Dixon would be a nice add in to replace him on the depth chart.
Like your safety pick here which would be nice to fill. See how Manning recovers but can't play it too safe.
Don't really know much about Martin but Washington will be long gone with that combination of size & speed.
Like last three picks I'll try to catch some tape of them.
Another work in progress, got a great tackle, addressed middle of defense as well as secondary. Also need a edge rusher higher, & another TE thrown in for good measure.