View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013   #281
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Bold 1: You're right, but I'm willing to excuse that for the same reason that Matt Stafford chucks it up in double coverage to Megatron. If you know your guy or no one is going to come up with it, you go for it.

Bold 2: Fully agree.

Bold 3: Manziel's been throwing some lasers of late. He's good in the pocket and can extend plays. He also is much smarter about contact and only really goes for the hits on the goal line, but he needs to not do that in the NFL. He's not Cam Newton.

Bold 4: Yep, and if it's a habit in the pros it's going to make him bad. However, Manziel has been getting his other WRs involved too. Malcome Kennedy is talented but Manziel makes no names like Travis Labhart look good. Derel Walker catches his fair share of TDs but I would like to say that three interceptions are direct results of Derel Walker's hands tipping the balls (i.e. not on Manziel).

The problem with drafting Manziel is that it's basically a gigantic boom/bust gamble, and you don't want to do that if you're the Texans, I think.
That's a good point about Stafford and Megatron. I tend to forgive Stafford because Johnson is just that much better than NFL DB's and I hold it against Manziel because I think about him developing bad habits. That may be a double standard on my part.

Manziel also has a pretty good arm that he doesn't get credit for. My point about the injury thing is I distinctly remember him initiating contact against Auburn and hurting his shoulder. That was such a dumb play by him considering. I see him slide only when he absolutely has to and he doesn't always avoid contact. The guys in the NFL are a lot faster and hit a lot harder.

Manziel has seemingly made no name WR's better. I refuse to give him credit for Evans but I'm pretty sure sure Labhart is a walk-on. I will say though, I think the offensive system has a lot to do with it. I won't say all, but I won't say Manziel is the only reason either.

And I agree. He is the definition of boom/bust.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote