View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013   #67
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans FO frustrated with Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
you can't give smith all the credit when things go right and none of the blame when things go wrong. It started when we were in cap hell and dumping winston and briesel and continued with his ineptitude by not being able to replace them. Smith has done nothing but mismanage the cap and continue to miss on draft picks. His time should be done here just like kubiak.
Wasn't really giving him that much credit, I mentioned he pulled the trigger on getting both Montgomery and Jefferson for all the good that did the team.

I am sick of people bringing up Briesel and Winston. I liked those guys but one was up for a contract and the other was overpaid on a previous contract that kept him here during a time they wanted to secure at least one side of the line. Keeping either means you are hurting your cap more or risk not retaining the likes of proven pro bowlers such as Duane Brown, Arian Foster or Chris Myers. I think a healthy DeMeco Ryans would have been great on this team despite people saying he lost a step or wouldn't fit the scheme, but it was a roster move to free up space. You SHOULD pay your best playmakers to retain them, balancing that with letting talented guys go while working the draft for depth for potential next gen players or just cheap rotation guys while working under the cap is what a real GM's job is.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get thrown out either. He and his office have a good eye for talent, especially with UDFAs and street free agents but among their normal off season free agents you can count the ones that had major positive impact on one hand (Antonio Smith, Jonathan Joseph, Daniel Manning and Wade Smith) and his drafting has been a mix bag in some seasons of good finds, busts and guys that blow up once they leave the team's sphere of influence.

Rick Smith doesn't get enough credit for all the good or bad that he and his front office have done for this team. But after a season like this, he really hasn't done enough to not get taken out in the tide should the McNair family clean house of the current coaches.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote