Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013   #773
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I don't get the Kubiak criticism when referring to Manzeil. We also don't know what a "Kubiak QB" is since the only one he's really had was Schaub.. however I wouldn't describe Keenum as "safe and low key" and we did have Grossman on the roster who was as reckless with the ball as they come. Watching how the playcalling has changed with Keenum under center I'm beginning to think the "Kubiak only wants safe QBs and needs someone low key" criticism is a bad wrap.

It's a coach's job to put players in the best position to succeed and with Schaub under center he had to play it safe. You can't exactly open up your entire playbook and run exotic plays for the QB with a QB as limited as Schaub was. He simply didn't ask Schaub to do anything that Schaub wasn't able to do.

If they decide to pass on Manzeil it'll either because they believe in their current starter or they don't believe in Manzeil's ability at the next level or they're scared off by his off the field antics.. which just about every G.M./coach in the league will look into and vet him, so again.. it won't be exclusive to Gary Kubiak. And if someone is a flaming torch of glory or a dumpster fire, than they shouldn't be a first round pick. First round picks should be viewed as can't miss prospects. I'm with 76 on this one though, if he falls to lower rounds, I'd take a shot on him. That's where you start looking at "the blaze of glory or dumpster" players. I certainly would not spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on him though, but I'm sure somebody will.
Risk/Reward

Somebody will accept the risk. If they hit on Manziel they will be set at QB for the next decade. Miss and they will look foolish.