View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013   #183
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The point was he was an extra OLmen lined up at TE. He wasn't really a TE. Tons of teams including the Texans throw an extra OLmen out there lined up at TE at times but it is spot duty not the base offense.

Sorry I missed the point. Here is what you said, "Not sure who you are thinking of in Atlanta. Eric Beverly was a 300 lb C/G." Carswell, Beverlyand Dreessen with Gibbs were full time TEs, primarily blocking TEs and part of the base offense.

Didn't say he wasn't a blocking TE - in fact acknowledged that was exactly what he was. The point of him already being there was that he wasn't someone Gibbs brought in to implement his system.

Neither was Winston but he used Eric to implement his system

Leach to Vickers = -.5 ypc. Dreessen there both seasons.
Vickers & Dreessen (plus Briesel and Winston) to Casey = -.4 ypc.
Casey to Jones = +.5 ypc.

I think the evidence points to the FB being a bigger factor along with the departure of Briesel and Winston. That would also be what my eyes told me.
I have said for years that after Winston, Brisiel, Leach, Vickers and Dreessen were gone the Texans have never really replaced them equal or better quality players. There is an argument for Brooks but only recently. The reason this discussion was about TEs is because it was primarily about Alex Gibbs and his use of Blocking TEs. No argument from me about importance of the FB in Gibb's system but we were discussing TEs.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote