View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013   #84
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre's Recent TD Success - Opinions Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I've been a big supporter of the idea that maybe Kubiak was handcuffing Schaub, but this admission from AJ completely opened my eyes. Schaub is limiting this offense, not Kubiak. Schaub will take the safe route rather than throwing the dice, if given the choice. Schaub is also less than capable of making off schedule plays if he has to scramble or is pressured.
This is something I've been saying (and I was a strong Schaub supporter.)

The way this offense is designed, someone should always be open. It's on the QB to read the defense and let that take him to the receiver that should be open. Back in the old days, I got down on HWWNBN because his definition of open was standing without anyone within 10 yards of the receiver AND the receiver looking back and making eye contact.

Schaub's definition of open includes throwing the ball to where the guy should be. He doesn't have to SEE the guy's open to throw the ball. BUT... there are some throws he's just not going to make because he doesn't trust either himself or the receiver OR he just doesn't see it as open. That's the definition of a game-manager QB. He's not going to make throws he thinks are risky. But for this type of QB to work, he's got to correctly evaluate the risks. Schaub has not been doing that since the end of last season.

Keenum's definition of open includes stuff that Schaub would never consider open. Keenum's willing to make more throws than Schaub is. He's willing to take risks.

Those same guys were open for Schaub but he wouldn't take the chance.

So... it's not Kubiak or his offense that's not going to take the risk and it never has been. Kubiak's offense, when run right, can be damned explosive. I just hope Keenum can keep it up and this week, I hope Dennison proves to be a better play-caller than he was last week.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote