View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013   #562
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Let's say Kubiak named Case the #2 QB to start the season & everything went according to plan. Late December, we're 12-2, something happens to Schaub. Now our back-up QB becomes our starting QB & Kubiak is going into the play-offs for the third straight year with a virgin QB.

Kubiak was thinking Super Bowl.... I was thinking Super Bowl, & he was putting us in the best position to win it.
I guess by "virgin" you mean a QB w/o playoff experience...? So what? Do you really think Yates had shown enough to be a playoff winner? I don't.

Also, with us being 12-2 you'd have to also assume we had already clinched the division and homefield so Kubiak would have two games to get Keenum in a playoff-ready mental state. Of course this is your scenario and you could have both our losses being at the hands of the Colts and they're also 12-2 and win the tie-breaker - I know you're twisted that way. Still, our playoff position is locked and the last two games are training opportunities. I could actually see Kubiak giving Yates significant snaps just in case something happens to Keenum. That's the course of action that would put us in the "best position to win it" with Schaub gone for the year.

Quote:
Still, I don't know how much of the play-book Case knew in the preseason. That was his first camp even running our plays. He looked fine in the preseason, basically playing streetball. We don't know how well he read the defenses, we don't know if his receivers were where they were supposed to be (most likely they weren't because these weren't our ones he was throwing to) we don't know how the line picked up their assignments, or the backs.
Case was "running our plays" last camp. I went to open camp, I saw him do it. So I don't know where you get that statement.

Quote:
All the preseason does is put him in situations that he & the HC/OC/QB coach can talk about the following week. Find out what he was thinking, what he saw, & why he did what he did.
That's true for all QBs, Schaub included. They (HC, OC, QBs) always do a debrief to see what opportunities/points were "left on the field". That's every week, not just preseason. Preseason gives the brain trust a chance to evaluate who's better at it going into the year. I wish I could find the Kubiak quote, but I seem to recall him saying that Yates and Keenum were more 2A and 2B than #2 and #3.

Quote:
For all we know, Tj beat him straight up. Maybe scoring a 67 on the plays he was in & Case scoring a 49 on the plays he was in. We don't know. Only the guys in that room the following week knows.
No we don't. That's why I prefaced my statement with "this may be just me"...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote