View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013   #169
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak Collapses at the half

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't fully agree with all of this, but it is a fair and reasonable assessment.

I think McNair is more intent on winning that Hervoyel... However, it is undeniable that he prioritizes ethical and moral intangibles and consistency more than many fans would like- and more than many other organizations.

I also agree that Kubiak has a number of limitations as a leader. I think, however, he has some strengths as well and am more optimistic than most about the possibility of winning with him, though it is fair to say that he won't ever become an elite head coach and a game day difference-maker like the great ones.

I am one of the satisfied customers. As a recovering Cowboy fan who was overwhelmed with on field success in the 90s, I find Bob's model refreshing. My last year as a Cowboy fan, in 1995, I experienced how unsatisfying winning can be when Switzer took that team and won a Superbowl with it. After that day, I learned that (for me at least) winning is not that satisfying when you despise the leaders of that which you root for.
I think he's very intent on winning and that he believes that what he's done thus far is going to make it happen. I think he's mistaken and that the franchise he's setup is a recipe for 6-10 to 10-6 (at best) until the end of time but I guess to some that's a degree of success. Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati seems to have survived living in that "climate" for a long time. Gary Kubiak has as well.

I agree with you about the strengths of Gary Kubiak and I think they're what make him a great coordinator as well as mediocre head coach. I guess we could win with him if everything falls into place at the right time and Rick Smith is suddenly possessed by the spirits of both Mike Holovak and Joel Bushbaum at the same time but I find it unlikely.

I hope for the best but believe ultimately that we'll not be consistently winning under this regime and that the above average years will come as a result of simple good fortune as opposed to some kind of breakthrough of understanding on Kubes part. He does everything the same way with focused consistency every year so outlying seasons (for better or worse) are generally attributable to something else affecting the situation.