View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013   #35
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texian's Mid Season Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Says the guy with ity bitty hands............. J/k .

Here's the problem. If you're going to play a smaller NT he dam well better be special at penetrating and be unusually strong at the POA. Those guys are very hard to find. If they don't at least have those qualities they don't do much to help anyone around them. Mitchell is the perfect example.

You put a bigger stronger guy there and OCs can no longer run you out of the play all by themselves. They have to have help or it's a miss match. Hence one less guy to help block Watt or Smith. Which also makes it harder on the interior OL when we blitz up the middle.
Pardon me if I go Wade's knowledge and expertise here with NTs over your summation and expectations. What I have found in my 20+ years of research is very few 320lb + NT can play well in the NFL and most who get drafted maybe only play 300-400 snaps of a 1000 snap season. For every Wilfork or Ngata there are dozens and dozens of 320 + lb NT drafted who end up being much less effective than 1 gap penetrating DT.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote