View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013   #67
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre's Recent TD Success - Opinions Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Your concerns are real however I think there are additional factors to Dre's benefit. First off, I know off the field stuff is not supposed to count, but it does - ask Cris Carter. TO and Moss will suffer from this. They happen to illustrate the 2nd point as well, several of the folks you mention never led the league in receiving. A related consideration is the factor of best v. really good. Many of them were never considered the best in the game for even a single season. Holt and Bruce will be tagged by some as system guys. I think you are giving too much credit to changes in the game also - Holt, Bruce, TO, Harrison, Moss didn't play in a wildly divergent era. In fact they overlap.

At the end of the day, AJ might be 2nd on the all time receiving list. Hesitancy to put too many WRs in may lead to AJ pushing someone else down the list rather than the reverse.Also, I have slammed McLain often enough but his presence is to AJs advantage. He will make sure the voters know he accomplished what he did with Carr and the stark change to Schaub (and hopefully a sharp change on TDs with Case).

I haven't looked but how many of the folks you mentioned had their careers without a single season with a QB who straight up got voted to the Pro Bowl and certainly not an All Pro?
Great points, man, and I certainly hope that you are ultimately right with them.

To be honest, a lot of my perspective is reminding myself to be patient with the process as a Texans fan.

I'd be interested in seeing numbers, stats, and comparisons of QBs behind these WRs. Hopefully AJ can leap frog over many of those receivers for the off-the-field reasons you mentioned. He truly epitomizes all the good things that pro athletes can represent in so many ways. I cannot recall even a speeding ticket, much less any black mark on his career or reputation (even the fight with Finnegan was pretty much universally applauded).