View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013   #177
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
At the halfway point in the season the Texans have the 6th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft: http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Bottom line on TEs is the Texans are mediocre at best. They definitely need a #1 TE going forward. Evans, Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins and Amaro should all be be 1st or 2nd rd considerations. The Texans running game has declined since Dreessen left and was never replaced with a Top notch blocking TE. A very good blocking TE was a main cog and one of the most pieces to the success of Alex Gibbs ZBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
What we do know about Graham is he's FA next year. I am opposed to waiting to see what happens as I am more comfortable at making things happen.

According to PFF when Dreessen was with the Texans he in fact graded out as a Top 3 Run Blocking TE. If know anything about or have studied Alex Gibbs and his ZBS then you would know how important Gibbs thinks and uses a good blocking TE in his running game. It is no coincidence that running game has declined since Dreessen and Gibbs have departed.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2...elopments.html
Right now you're just pissin in the wind. You can't make anything happen till the offseason anyway. That's why I'm saying let's see what we have now that we have a QB that's capable.

It had more to do with no true fullback and OL problems than it did with Dreesen being gone. Not saying he wasn't good. Just that there were many factors that contributed to our running games decline after he left.

As far as Gibbs goes, of course you need a GOOD blocking TE in his system. You need one in almost any system. Top notch? It's not as important as you think. Name one top notch blocking TE that was ever used in Gibbs system. In Denver it was Shannon Sharpe. He was more of a threat receiving than blocking. He was never a dominant blocker. He was a good effort seal off guy. I don't think gins system has ever been better than when sharpe was the TE.