View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013   #194
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Martin broke the lockerroom code. I doubt he plays for the Dolphins, or any other teams in the NFL.
**** the locker room "code" and the default belief that treats abuse as permissive because it happens in a locker room. Did McQueary fear violating the locker room "code"? I'm with Jen who thinks that maybe we need to take a look at the broken-ness of this mentality.

there's nothing special about the sanctity of a locker room as a space that's held above or different from other spaces. It doesn't (or, rather, shouldn't) be some area of default immunity for extreme sources of harassment or abuse or bullying or whatever else.

I played. I am coaching. I'm in a locker room all the time.

I 'get' the locker room. But there are things that transcend the locker room and go beyond the code.

What makes the locker room different from any other work place or team spot?

"Teacher's Lounge code"?

"Executive Board Meeting code"?

You know who else broke the locker room "code"? Incognito. Phone messages. Texts. Even assuming you're right (and I think it's a cop out, personally) and the locker room is some sort of hallowed ground where anything goes and should be kept private, then doesn't Incognito lose that once he breaches the locker room?

How is what Martin did a violation of this floating, arbitrary definition of a coded space but not what Incognito did?

Before closing, I'll make one thing clear. Martin may very well never play another down in the NFL or suit up for another team. And maybe you'll once again fall all over yourself in an attempt to clap yourself on the back for being "right." That might be a correct guess on your part.

But that's ignoring the larger issue. And that's one where you're wrong.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote