View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013   #189
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think a mild bully you hit back and it's over . Richie is more like Dracula where you would have to put a stake in him . That's why the Dolphins have been bad . It's more about taking rookies manhood or visa card than it is about building a team .

I wonder what Jake Long thinks about it ?
Great comparison.

Everyone keeps saying punch a bully in the face, but what if that bully has antisocial personality disorder (basically a sociopath).

Beating them only feeds the beast and elevates the situation to new levels of depravity.

For instance, the Robert De Niro character in Cape Fear: Bully or sociopath/psychopath?

The normal "rules of engagement" for dealing with typical bullies do not apply or work with sociopaths.

And this is where I think the story has become lost in translation. Incognito was more than just a bully. Dude crossed so many lines that his behavior goes into the category of mental depravity. This kind of mind does not hear reason, does not respond to respect, does not back down in confrontation or even getting his own ass kicked in.

Johnathan Martin's teammates have said he has stood up for himself and fought other linemen. Dude is not the wimp he's being portrayed.

But who here is really equipped to deal with a sociopath that is threatening to sexually assault your mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
One doesn't "toughen" up to beat depression. You don't "nut up" and get over depression.

Sounds like another athlete falls victim to a sport and a macho mentality that is ill equipped to deal with a COMMON psychological issue like depression. Sounds like the NFL needs to ditch pink October and do something to raise mental health awareness.
Awesome point, but we know it will never happen. Pink month is about marketing as much as anything else. Shedding light on the mental health of players carries risks that could "damage the shield". While I think your suggestion is one of the best I've heard as it pertains to the league taking care of players, we know it will never happen because the NFL likes to bury its dirty laundry and act like nothing happened.