View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013   #393
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Here is what I am saying....

The Texans drafted a PK with a 5th RD pick because they didn't have the money to sign an experienced veteran. The Texans could NOT afford to sign an experienced Vet PK without first releasing a player with an equal or greater salary cap hit or restructuring contracts and borrowing enough money from future years to pay for players this year.....that's what I am saying.
I get your point, Texian.

But that was why I brought up the other two kickers drafted in the sixth round; you even added the UDFA from UT (a Houston native no less.)

These guys performed at basically the same pay as Bullock, with less in signing bonus. Teams don't need to go after veterans.

On the one hand, you have to balance between paying a veteran and the possibility of a young talent.

It seems to me that you pick and choose.

If the Texans hit on all the picks, none of us would complain, since young talents are always cheaper than the vets.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote