View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013   #146
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why aren't we trying to find a kicker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You mean the same Colts that had an NFL Championship trophy in 2006, two Super Bowl appearances, and 9 straight playoff seasons from 2002-2010? The same team that fell apart when their Hall of Fame QB went down?

C'mon, man, that's a specious argument at best.
What? Are you really going to argue that the Colts were NOT tanking that season? Seriously? They started Kerry Collins, Dan Orlovsky and some other guys I can't remember at QB all year. They clearly were not playing to win until the end of the season when they knew they had the #1 pick locked up. They cleaned house too that offseason, and released many of the players that made them a contender. They clearly were playing for the future and the fans were smart enough to see that. Now look where they are...

So you don't think this team would have a better chance of turning things around next year with a top 5 pick instead of a 10-15 pick? Do you think the Lions would be where they are now without Stafford? How about the Panthers with Cam Newton? Or the Giants without Eli? Or the Chargers without Rivers? I think it makes a big difference, there certainly are great QBs to be had at the top of the draft. Occasionally there are some gems found in later rounds, like Russell Wilson or Brady, but those are so few and far between that it's not likely we would be so lucky. We need the best picks we can get to give our next regime the tools needed for a makeover. If Keenum turns out to be the guy for the future, then we can go defense and get an OLB that can rush the QB. Whatever works, but the higher the pick, the better your chances of finding impact players.

Quote:
Regardless of what happens this season, McNair is not going to fire Kubiak. Especially now after the medical emergency.

People are constantly talking about the Texans meltdown going back to last season. So the logic is that last season's performance can directly impact the next season.

So let's reverse that logic: wouldn't it be best for the team to finish strong this season so there is positive momentum going into the off-season?

I think sending a message for the team to blatantly suck will send the wrong vibe into off-season. It's a defeatist attitude, and there is certainly no guarantees about draft picks.

And remember the "Suck for Luck" mentality was from fans, not the team.
Honestly, this sounds like more of a defeatist attitude to me than what I am advocating. The thought of this regime staying intact after this atrocious season is worse than going 2-14 in my mind. It's time for change we can believe in, whether it be a new GM from Baltimore, or a HC like Sumlin, Shaw or Gruden, I don't really care. This team needs a makeover from the top down.