View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013   #27
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm gonna have to do this Jen, I don't want to, but I must to make my point.
I'm guessing you've never played football ? OK, well I have, both in high school and in college, though I assure my collegiate football experience was very unremarkable and the scholastic end of it not much better. But while playing in HS and college, I can't tell you how many incidents I've seen of bullying, varying degrees to be sure. And actually a couple of them were pretty flagrant, pretty nasty situations in other words. It's part of the territory, it's a very, very physical sport played by some really tough guys, certainly at the NFL level. And it's also tough mentally and psychologically because much of it is about being the most macho person in the contest, winning whichever mano-a-mano contest a player might be involved in that's always playing out on the field be it CB vs WR, OT vs edge-rusher, OC vs NT, TE vs LB, etc. In other words, a guy has to have a certain mentality or psyche along with athletic talent, or he's not got what it takes for serious football, certainly not pro ball. And seminars or sensitive training or whatever aren't gonna correct the situation, not for the bully or his victim. Best solution would be to change occupations to office work, or something, anything that's civilized because pro football isn't.
I'm sure Jonathan Martin has been hazed and gone through all the dude bro crap football players go through in high school and college, so he's used to it. Sounds like Incognito took it to a whole new level, which is NOT okay. Incognito has a bad rep in this league, and this is a league full of tough son-of-a-B dude bros who can both give and take some ****.

It's no longer about proving one's manhood and football prowess when someone makes it personal and makes threats or racial comments. That's way out of bounds. Just because football is a rough and tumble sport it doesn't mean that anyone should just suck it up and be a victim to someone with Incognito's obvious nasty streak.

Incognito is a dirt bag and Martin isn't a wuss because he broke down after what appears to be systematic abuse at Incognito's hands. I think Miami let things get too far, and there's a bit more there of veterans taking advanage of the younger players to foot huge dinner bills and what not. Just because the culture of hazing is there doesn't mean that when taken to its extremes it should still be accepted because it's just "part of the game." That's a cop out that just perpetuates poor behavior.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote