View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts game and 2014 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's the sort of thinking that got the team into this mess, IMO. You should always plan to have a guy waiting in the wings. That guy may not pan out at any given point, but expecting a higher round draft pick to live up to those expectations is a lot more reasonable than expecting a late round/undrafted guy to do it, for the most part (I don't buy into the draft evaluation process completely).

I say if Keenum turns out to be the guy we all hope he is, then the team should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe the 4th if they think they have identified a guy that can be a starter. Develop that QB for a year or two, all the while letting him compete against Keenum. If Keenum continues to beat him out, then you either have a Tom Brady situation or a busted draft pick on the second guy. Either way, competition is good for the position.

If Keenum falls on his face this season, then you have to take QB in the first or second round, I think. Either way, you don't go into 2014 with all your hopes pinned on Keenum.
Uh, the bolded is exactly what I said, other than being a 5th round, Yates was someone Gary thought he could train into a solid QB. That may still be the case (no pun) and why I am willing to keep TJ on roster. Keenum just seems to have turned out to be a better player than Yates. As I said, MS for his years with Houston has basically started every play if healthy so if you have a decent prospect like Keenum why not train him up? You cannot always have a top 3 round pick at every position especially with this team. I was hoping next draft would be one we could go BPA a lot more but that ain't happening. If Keenum is the guy we still need RT, ILB, a Nose (both of ours are FAs) a resolution for Ninja (draft or he re-signs) and maybe a LG if Q is not the starter with no regular season games played. If Keenum not the guy, I agree we have to go high for a QB but who? All of the talked about guys need to play much better for me to spend a high first.

Every season Matt played, we went with just him with hopes pinned on. If our starter is decent, back ups have not been a problem as they basically sit. Is that best scenario, no but it is what we have done since the beginning.