View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Colts game and 2014 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My primary focus is going to be Keenum as his play will definitely impact our draft. If he is as good as I think, I will contemplate leaving Yates as cheap back up and go QB last day and probably sign UDFA.
That's the sort of thinking that got the team into this mess, IMO. You should always plan to have a guy waiting in the wings. That guy may not pan out at any given point, but expecting a higher round draft pick to live up to those expectations is a lot more reasonable than expecting a late round/undrafted guy to do it, for the most part (I don't buy into the draft evaluation process completely).

I say if Keenum turns out to be the guy we all hope he is, then the team should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe the 4th if they think they have identified a guy that can be a starter. Develop that QB for a year or two, all the while letting him compete against Keenum. If Keenum continues to beat him out, then you either have a Tom Brady situation or a busted draft pick on the second guy. Either way, competition is good for the position.

If Keenum falls on his face this season, then you have to take QB in the first or second round, I think. Either way, you don't go into 2014 with all your hopes pinned on Keenum.