View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

I suspect JJ is done also, but thought he did a pretty good job last year and it will be more because of roster spots and his style than his production.

His punt return avg is certainly suspect, but I am curious if that was more him or the coverage support. His kick return average was 11th in the league--one extra yard on average would have put him in 6th to give you an idea of how bunched they were. He had a lot of his above average returns brought back on penalties. His run style, like Dante Hall's, encourages penalties because of all his changes in direction. Hall obviously got away with some non-calls--that return the week after our game comes to mind where there were at least three visable non-calls. Not sure if that is something that can be cured by experience with him and the blockers though.

Consistant field position is far more important than home-run threat IMO. Home-runs are overrated and rare. Only 9 KR's scored at all last year and only 2 KR's had 2 TD's--i.e. 11 TD's total out of over 1100 kicks returned.

All that said, I suspect that if a WR or DB that will perform better than JJ in those roles can perform close to JJ as a returner then he will be gone.