View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013   #270
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Dripping with Irony.

I never suggested the Ravens should not have re-signed Flacco. I simply refuted your argument that Schaub's contract is comparatively restrictive to the cap as Flacco's.

Did the Ravens overpay Flacco in my estimation? Yes. Does that mean it was a mistake? not necessarily. I'm sure they attempted to get the best deal they could. They were not willing to gamble on a young, talented Superbowl QB hitting the free agent market. I get that. And, because of their difficult cap situation after the season, they could not franchise tag him or even threaten to. ... Which brings me back to my point for those worried about the Texans' cap as it pertains to JJWatt. The reason why Cushing and DBrown were signed and taken care of, and the reason the Texans decided to make calculated decisions and let guys like Barwin, Quin, Casey go is because they have a long term look at the cap, at keeping it healthy... with an effort to be talented and capable of championship runs for a long time.

So, the Texans are positioning themselves each off-season to not have core players becoming free agents or being in a situation where they are having to scramble to get a deal done and a guy they want to keep under the cap. So, when Watt's 4year deal is up, the Texans will pick up their option on year 5 (using it as leverage for a relatively reasonable long term deal before they pick the meager option up). If he decides to play out the option instead of re-signing, the Texans will have room under the cap and have the franchise tag as leverage. If he doesn't sign, they franchise him. The next season, the same thing. If then, he still won't sign, they cut him loose after 7 years of service as he hits his 30th birthday.
First I've heard of Watt having an option year. 2015 is UFA IIRC. Can you provide link? That would be huge if there exist a team option as with KJ.