View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013   #50
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70926 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 NFL Games in London in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Ah, I knew that one was coming. Understand that it's about the exchange rate, and international tax laws. The American dollar does not go far in London. So, if you pay players in British Pounds, that's good, but, that's kind of screwing US-based players. Yes, we would likely have to pay players living in London more money.

Anyway, this conversation is getting superflous, and none of us will agree. Understand that I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a team in London; it is possible. I just think the logistics - combined with the cheapness of the owners - make is more complicated than most of us realize.
Dude I was in London last summer. My dollar did fine. 50 pounds a night for a decent hotel near Kensington. Beer was 2 pounds or so on average. Fast food was 3 or 4 pounds -- a decent dinner was 10 to 20. The pound was trading at 1 to 1.6 or so, so add 50% and you can see exactly how far my dollar went.

France cost me much more.

500,000 dollars a year (the minimum for a guy with 1 year's experience) equates to 310,000 pounds. Seriously, you don't think they can live on that? You think they need a subsidy?

Not to mention that we'd have to deal with the exchange rate and international tax laws if we expand to Mexico too. I'm pretty sure that players AND owners would rather tie their dollars to the pound than the peso. It's a helluva lot more stable for starters.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote