View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013   #249
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
First, aren't you the guy that argued that the Texans are foolish to expect the cap to grow significantly in a couple years?... then, you defend Flacco's contract by saying "the cap will increase by $20-$30 million in a couple years".... Well, for Baltimore's sake, it had better!

You are making these numbers up:

by "next three years", I guess you are including the current year?... Well, let's talk about Flacco's 4th year in the contract, when he is scheduled to count $29 million against the cap... Oh, and if they wanted to cut him before that season, they would deal with over $25 million in dead money... I'm not sure how that is anything like Schaub's deal.

You actually highlighted my point. The Texans have not backloaded contracts, which is why they are in very good cap health long term. Your point that Schaub's first three years in his deal (which is 1/2 of Flacco's in totality) cost the same amount as Flacco's against the cap the first couple seasons, illustrates why Baltimore is less healthy than Houston regarding the cap. The Texans don't have any of those monster numbers coming due. And, any of the players that have significant contracts- and may not be living up to them, can be cut from the team for a net cap savings (Joseph, ASmith, OD, Schaub, Manning, etc..)

Schaub, for instance, can be cut after this season, count $10 million against the cap and then the Texans would be clear of his contract. Flacco, if he is cut before year 5 of his 6 year deal, will cost the Ravens $30+ in dead money. And, even if they don't cut him, he will cost them $30 million in cap costs in years 4, 5, 6.
Yes I am the guy. The general consenus is the Salary Cap next year will be very close to what is was this year. It would be foolhardy to plan differently.

Then why will the cap go up significantly in 2015? Conventional wisdom says the NFL will expand regular season games to 17 or 18 in 2015. In order to do this owners will need approval of the NFLPA. How do the owners get approval from the players? Significant increase in the salary cap, more money for everyone. In other words, money talks BS walks. Basic logic.

I haven't made up any numbers.

Regarding the long term health of the Texans salary cap you describe, that simply is not true. 2014 is as bad as 2013, Texans will have to replace 15 contracts w/ only $8 million available cap dollars. That averages to just over $500K per contract. That's not enough to meet the basic minimum obligations. 2015 is worse.

You keep talking about cutting Flacco and how much it would cost. Why would they want to cut Flacco? He's a Super Bowl winning QB. All he's done since joining the Ravens is go to the playoffs every year.

Here is something most fans don't realize, it's going to cost as much to sign JJ Watt as it cost to sign Joe Flacco and the Texans still don't have a QB.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote