View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013   #236
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That is exactly what I am telling you because that is the TRUTH whether you think it's crap, clairvoyant or someone's superiority. The Ravens are morons is you idea of evidence and not an insult? Make no mistake, Gary Kubiak has complete and final say on the 53 man roster. It is in his contract. All personnel transactions are only done after they have Kubiak's approval.

Rick Smith is a GM in name only. Rick Smith is a GM to Gary Kubiak in the same way that Scott Pioli was a GM to Bill Belichick. In Bob McNair's own words in 2006 he said he was using the Patriot's Model to build his team. Made sense after the Patriots had won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. The only problem with that thinking is Kubiak is not Belichick, Smith is not Pioli and Houston is not New England.

That stupidest system you've ever heard of is the exact system they've in New England and the same system Denver used with Shanahan as the Head Coach and GM. That same system in Denver under Mike Shanahan that Kubiak and Smith trained under.
You are right about what McNair said in 2006. You are also right in this statement: "Kubiak is not Belicheck, Smith is not Pioli, and Houston is not New England."

All of that became clear to McNair by 2010... McNair believes in Kubiak's philosophy and his system but figured out that Kubiak does not have the cold discernment and special decision-making skills that are unique to some of the great NFL coaches: like Belicheck. That is why he arrested some of the control of the team from Kubiak and gave it to Rick Smith... It was Smith who wanted to go another direction at defensive coordinator after 2008, but Kubiak overruled him and promoted Frank Bush. After the 2010 nightmare, Kubiak was retained as head coach but lost a lot of that GM power... Rick Smith was given it and was the one that wanted Wade Phillips.

I can not prove all of it, but it is clearly that the organization has been running much differently since the 2010 season. There was a "C" change, so to speak. Many of the big decisions regarding core players were made with much more calculation and less "loyalty" than was previously the case. Examples I would cite would be the Demeco Ryans trade, the clear decision to let Mario walk without giving him a real offer, the Winston cut, the Alex Gibb exit, Kevin Walter release, not re-signing Dreessen, etc... Those are things that don't happen, I don't think, if Kubiak is running the show.

To the second part of your statement, "Rick Smith is not Pioli"... that is very true. Pioli was a bit of a disaster once Belicheck wasn't pulling the strings anymore... Rick Smith is a vastly better GM. Pioli was part of a perfect storm- a group of football men that came together at the right moment, in the right situation, and did one heck of a job! And, don't get me wrong, Pioli did a great job! My point is that his ability to succeed at that job is limited to the unique situation he was in. I'm confident you will never see him take over an organization and build it into a success... You saw what happened in KC. He kept trying to patchwork that organization with whatever guys he could get from his time in N.E.- and he had no answers... Anyone that hires Romeo Crennel to be the head coach is clearly at a loss.