Thread: SEC over-rated
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SEC over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
How many teams have great out of conference opponents? Look at the SEC facing itself and the quality of football therein.
That's why I said you would have to look at other conferences and then look at strength of schedule on those out of conference games.

Part of the argument for the SEC being overrated is those SEC conference games. The argument is that the preseason polls overrate SEC teams based on past performance. This carries over into the season when SEC teams play each other, because they end up not dropping far in the rankings when they lose to another SEC team. That means when they lose later to another team in a similar situation, it happens again. It just snowballs basically all because of the preseason rankings and then the AP keeping that whole preseason ranking vibe going throughout the season. The BCS rankings are also partially based on these polls and those polls are basically based on the preseason rankings, as I was saying. That's the argument for the SEC being overrated from what I understand. Hope I did an ok job at explaining that.

Normally, I understand why the SEC has highly ranked teams throughout the season. They normally have some great teams at the top. This year, not so much and you're seeing the above argument playing out. You have Alabama and Missouri (jury still out on them), but almost everyone else isn't who they were supposed to be. Teams like Florida and Georgia were ranked for far too long and eventually just had to get dropped, because they kept losing.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote