View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Working Out Lots of Players "Behind Closed Doors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

The schism between Schaub and fans is irreparable, so Matt Schaub is leaving Houston mid season. Count on it.
I won't go as far as to say I'll eat my hat if Schaub is traded, but it would be incredibly surprising to see him be moved for a few reasons.

1. He's damaged goods. Nobody around the league is going to give up much for him, and he's not worth building around.

2. He's past his prime. Too old to really be a building block for a team, if someone like Russel Wilson went down for the year, then I could see the Seahawks desperately trying to maintain their status. The Rams, I just can't see doing it.

3. He sucks. 4 pick 6's in 6 games this year, a lack of confidence, and a hurt ankle. No, nobody wants to trade for that player.

4. His contract. Matt makes 7.25 million in salary this year. 3.4 of it has been paid already, 3.85 of it is still due and would be paid by the team acquiring him. That's not too expensive for the new team, but for the Texans his contract is unmanageable. Matt has 14 million in signing bonus that still counts against the cap, and 10.5m of that will be accelerated to this year's cap if he's moved. That means moving Schaub in any way will make him cost at least 17.4m against the cap this year. His original cap number this year was 10.75m, so that's an extra 6.65m that needs to be accounted for.

The Texans currently have 2.848m in cap space, which means moving Schaub would put them 3.802 million over the cap. In order to move Schaub, you would need to find another 3.802 million in cuts for this team to stay under the salary cap. That would require trading guys like Antonio Smith and/or Wade Smith to make it work, and good luck finding anyone willing to pay for those guys.